Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Christmas Gifts Abound

Golly, I feel like I haven't posted in ages... probably because I haven't, really. School's gotten waaaaay to busy, but of course, I still make time to knit, since I don't actually enjoy homework (okay, I like the homework, just not the *doing* homework bit). Anyway, not this previous weekend but the one before that, I went to a conference in Ann Arbor, and of course, what else would I do with 16 hours in a Dodge Durango than knit? Here's eight hours worth of progress, and a glimpse of the Michigan Union.

Socks in Michigan

Yes, I finally got around to trying my hand at socks. I'm using one of Knit Picks' free sock patterns, and it's super easy. The yarn is Sock Garden in Pansy. Since that picture was taken, I've worked about half of the ribbing up the ankle, and then I put in the heels, 'cause I wanted to see how they looked, and now I'm back to the ribbing. And because she knows I always tell people what I'm giving them for Christmas, these are a gift in the works for Heather. When I finish, I'll put up a new picture.

In the meantime, I've started on a cute little toy from Jess Hutchison's AWESOME booklet of knitted toys. I'm working on "Spherey," who is essentially a sphere with arms and legs. Except that right now, he doesn't have arms and legs....

Spherey in Progress

I'm using Caron Simply Soft Brites, because I had some left over, but also because I prefer neon to pastel when it comes to babies. The arms and legs are going to be neon orange. The yarn's leftover from my Halloween legwarmer knitting adventure, photos of which will probably not be posted, as the 80's were a little bit scary.

And for anyone who likes Spherey, check out that booklet, seriously. There are some fantastic little toys in there, and the patterns are really well written.

In other news, I think I'm going to knit mittens for Daddy, my stepdad, and my sister's fiance for Christmas. I think my sister will get a OSW, and we'll see what I manage for Mom and my stepmom. The clock's ticking away, and I don't know how I'll make time to get everything done, especially when I think about schoolwork. There are only four weeks(!) left in the semester, not counting Thanksgiving Break, and tonight I've got a ton of papers to grade (the downside of teaching writing...) and I have to finish background reading so I can formulate a research project so that I can write an abstract of it by Thursday. Of course, I also have to make a handout and prepare a 20 minute presentation on said research... have I mentioned that I only have a vague idea of what I'll actually be doing my experiment on? Of course, I'm not panicking or anything; I would just rather make another Spherey arm, or, well, just about anything else.

Oh, yeah, and knit, mama! KNIT! is hosting a Holiday Countdown Knitalong! I'm going to join right now, and it'll be my first KAL! Hope all of you other holiday knitters think about joining; I can't wait to see what everyone else is up to!

4 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Your socks are gorgeous! I love how that Pansy colorway knitted up. And Spherey is adorable, even if he's temporarily limbless. :-) You sound incredibly busy, yet you have such an impressive holiday knit list. How do you manage to do it all?! I'm thoroughly impressed! Looking forward to seeing more of your Holiday Countdown KAL updates.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Your socks look great. I think that yarn is a really great quality at such a bargain price.

And spherey is going to be adorable.

Hopefull, I can see some of these great knits in person at Knit Night soon. Hopefully I'll be able to get there in a couple of weeks.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Hi - found you through knit, Mama KNIT!, my daughter is also doing the Holiday Countdown Knitalong.

Love the travelling socks - I've had that Sock Garden Pansy on my Wish List for awhile now - after seeing it knit up, it's a must have! So pretty.

Knit on!

1:11 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Good luck with all your school projects and knitting projects. I know you are looking forward to the semester break...then you can really knit!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home