Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Lacing Along

Hmmm, so I was going to talk about lace first, but I just, well, sniped an eBay auction. And what makes it bad is that I hate it when people do that. Oh, well, I needed to get a Christmas present before everyone starts their major shopping, and eBay was as good as anything else.

In other news, I'm working on the Knitty Branching Out Scarf. I bought some Knit Picks Gossamer when it was introduced because the colors were lovely. I don't know why I got it, because I didn't have anything to make with it, and at the point probably never would have considered knitting lace. At any rate, I decided to try something new, and here's my progress:

Lace Progress

It's about 15" long right now, and I'm going for about 48" so that it can be worn as an indoor accessory. The yarn is really nice; it's squishy, and I love the stripe-like effect. I put in a lifeline a couple of rows back, because I was frustrated by my inability to fix a mistake for the second time. It's not the fault of the yarn or the pattern, I just don't have the mad knitting skills to fix all of my mistakes yet. Fortunately, I don't really care. It makes it unique, right?

I sent off the scarf swap scarf today; I'll post a picture once it's reached it's destination. My goal this weekend is to finish the One Skein Wonder for Hannah, since I'm supposed to see her next Monday. And, of course, I need to finish some stuff up for my second package to my secret pal. I've got a big list of things I'm considering, but I've got to narrow it down. Of course, I have to order some yarn for her reveal package, too, so that it's here in time for me to send it out.

Does anyone know of a nice, inexpensive alternative to Kid Silk Haze? Or is there really no other way to go?

Before I go, I had lots of fun last night knitting with Laura of The Preemie Project, Libby, and Mandy at a coffee shop (I had Earl Grey tea). I can't wait to meet up with them again; it's really nice to get out and ignore my homework with other people for awhile. Speaking of ignoring homework, I've been doing that for far too long today, so I'd better get some work done. Once I finish this lace repeat....

4 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

I had a great time too....

I don't know that there is an alternative to Kid Silk Haze that will be exactly the same.
K1C2 Douceur et Soie (70%mohair/ 30%silk) which runs about $10 for 200 yards (not much cheaper than KSH)
Jaggerspun Zephyr (50% silk/ 50% wool) which can be found in lots of colors at an amazing price online (I've never seen it in person, but have heard good things via the blog world)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I like the way the yarn is looking in your lace scarf. If there are mistakes, I can't see them.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Ruby Banshee said...

Hey Megan,
I had a really good time the other night, too! I've heard Madil Kid Seta is a good alternative. It's 25% off at Little Knits right now: http://www.littleknits.com/products.php?cat=70. I don't know how much cheaper it is than KSH. They've got some great colors, though. Good luck!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had so much fun talking about yarn etc with you and the other ladies. I'm looking forward to doing it again next week! I'll email you about the place. Hope you can come!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home