Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Great News!

So, I have to share: I found out yesterday that I get to teach another class in the spring! This is good news for lots of reasons. See, last year I was given a quarter time teaching appointment for this academic year, which means teaching one class in the fall and one in the spring, and earning less than half than a TA with a half time appointment, which is three courses over the academic year. I wasn't the happiest about that, but I was excited for the experience, plus I had a second job to minimally supplement my income. So when I got an email yesterday asking me if I wanted another class for the spring, not only did it mean that I'll have even more work experience, it meant that I'll double my income for the year, and I might even get a bigger scholarship.

I'm so amazingly blessed; this comes at a really good time for me, because both my mother and my sister are in pretty bad financial situations. Not only does this mean that I can help my family some, I'll also have some money when it's time to relocate next summer without running up a lot of debt, AND I'll have more money for yarn. And more yarn. And, for the more practical people in my audience, new contact lenses. (And don't worry, I'm not really going to buy that much yarn; I've already got a stash two sizes too big.) (But maybe I'll get some Lion & Lamb to make myself a Clapotis.) (Although I really want to make myself a Tubey. Any thoughts on the Cashmerino? I hear it pills pretty badly.)

Continuing the feeling blessed theme, I randomly got two more people to participate in my research, and turned in an 18 page paper on my findings yesterday. It was surprisingly quick to write, but I had to spend, like, two hours teaching myself statistics. I've still got two papers to go, but one is half finished and the other, well, um, I've kind of thought of what I'm going to write about. It's not due till tomorrow night. That's plenty of time.

And finally, I was fortunate enough to have time for a Revenge of the Sith break on Monday night, and I finished up that Branching Out during the film. It's been blocking overnight, and I'll post pictures as soon as I have time to procrastinate (i.e., you probably won't have to wait that long). Also, I swatched for the felted bag I'm "designing," and I bought a button for the scarflet I've got to finish up by Friday. What does that mean? This week's scheduled holiday knitting is done (and it's only Wednesday)! Proof that even when it's the last minute, I'd really rather not do my homework.

The good news about having that done, though, is that the rest of my study breaks this week are now set aside for finishing up at least one Christmas Hat for The Preemie Project. And for playing Minesweeper.

Anyway, I'm sorry this was so long, I'm just super excited. And I'll put up pictures soon! Hope you all have a great week!

1 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Last night, Laura, Mandy and I were just commenting on how busy you are. And basically how we have no idea how you find the time to teach, work, attend class, study, blog and knit. You are amazing.

Congrats on the extra teaching gig. What a great experience it will be for you. Hope to see you soon... And good luck with the paper.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home