Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Phew, first day of school over

Wow, what a long day! Normally I really look forward to the first day of classes for the semester, but today was extremely nerve wracking, as it was my first day of teaching as well as the first day that I took a really really upper level course (I know, very scientific sounding). The class I taught went pretty well, although as usual some of my students are older than I am. I don't tell them how old I am, of course, because that would be really awkward for me, but I can still tell, just as I'm sure they can. One student actually asked if I was a grad student or an undergrad.

I also got a lecture from my advisor on why I should drop my elective class (three classes is apparently too much). I think my favorite comment was, "Well, who told you to take this class? Who's your advisor?" "Um, you are." "Oh, I must've been sleeping through that." And then she introduced me to the professor who's teaching the class (who I already know), and said (I paraphrase), "Oh, this is Megan, she's in your class. She's a great student, won this departmental award, in the 5-year program, blah blah blah, and I think she should drop your class." It was a strange situation. And the weirdest thing is that this course will probably be one of the easiest I ever take, because the prof's pretty easy-going and there's only one 12-20 page paper due at the end. As it is, I'm not going to drop it, because I think it'll be interesting, and if I do, I don't qualify for work-study and would lose my second job and not be able to pay for yarn! And that would be the biggest tragedy of all.

In yarn news, I joined The Preemie Project last night. Tonight instead of doing the dishes, I started a preemie afghan. I hope to get it done, as well as another little afghan, and some hats, before this weekend. I'll post a picture of the first afghan tomorrow, as it should be finished then. Thanks to all of the members of The Preemie Project for making me feel extremely welcome; I'm really looking forward to this!

And now, it's way past my bedtime. At least I get to sleep in tomorrow... today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Welcome to The Preemie Project. I've really enjoyed making tiny little hats and booties, and find it even more relaxing than some of my other projects.

Hopefully, we'll be able to meet this weekend at the get together at Laura's.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I'm a Preemie Project volunteer too. Just wanted to stop by and say hi. Good luck with school and teaching. And, good for you for not dropping your class. From the way it sounds, you can definitely handle it.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home