Saturday, September 03, 2005

Aaah, Football

I love the first game of the season; it's almost the fourth quarter, and we're leading 49-0 (Go Hawks!). We'll see how it ends, as the Hawks have a tendency to screw things up in the last quarter. In other news, Kinnick is lovely after it's facelift. The only disappointment today is that this is the first home game in five years I haven't been at. After four years in the HMB, I feel funny not being there. And not waking up at 5:45 this morning to get to the stadium. And not spending over 20 hours a week in rehearsal. As a side note, if you go to the band's website and refresh to see all of the pictures, I'm just to the left of Herky in the picture of Herky (the mascot) in the stands with band members, and my best friend Heather is the girl with a bass drum in one of the pictures.

I wish I'd gotten season tickets, but the Home Schedule leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't really want to pay $130 to watch us play Northern Iowa, Ball State, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Minnesota. I've got enough great football memories. Winning the Alamo Bowl (Nade Kaeding attempted to conduct In Heaven There is No Beer), clinching the Big 10 Championship at Minnesota and watching the fans rip out another team's goalpost (they're idiots... you can't get a goalpost out of revolving doors), beating Michigan, beating Michigan, beating ISU, beating ISU at home, and, of course, The Catch. For non-Iowa fans, check out number four at the Top 100 Finishes, 1970-present. The Capital One bowl end is an indelible memory, and it was a fantastic way to finish my career in the HMB.

We're at 56-0 right now. I hope it holds. I hope that this year, the Hawks get to go to the Rose Bowl. I'll be sad to not get to go with them, but you've gotta move on.

Enough about football. This afternoon, I'm hoping to fix up the pumpkin hat, and I've swatched for a One Skein Wonder. Yes, I've decided what to do with that cotton I got on sale; I've got a ballerina friend who could use some cheering up, and that pattern always makes me think of willowy-ballerina-types. Now I've just got see if I can get any closer to gauge without venturing out into the football traffic for more needles, as my knitting needle collection is woefully bare, especially when compared with my crochet hook collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home