Monday, January 23, 2006

New Week, New Yarn

Back in the swing of things, and I'm drowning in homework. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to take a blogging break! I didn't get to knit this weekend, as I had cuter things to attend to. My little niece is growing up so quickly! Here she is not caring about the animals at the zoo.

She Doesn't Care

Of course, she's not quite 6 months old yet (close!), so she's allowed to not care about what her mommy is pointing at. I didn't get many shots of the animals, but if you're interested, Heather has some cute ones posted.

I didn't do anything "productive" this weekend, much to my continuing dismay. I have a big pile of homework next to a big pile of things to grade and a big pile of books to convert into lesson plans. And a giant pile of yarn that's getting bigger by the day. Today's addition? Five skeins of Claudia Hand Painted Sock Yarn, two in "Freesia" and three in "Stormy Days."

Claudia Sock Yarn

Gorgeous, isn't it? I think, based on the fact that I have two midterms the last week in February, that I might have to revise my Knitting Olympics project. I know I'll never get a cardigan done in 16 busy days, but a pair of socks is much more reasonable, and still a challenge as I've never knit a "real" heel, and because of the time constraint. Plus, that yarn is gorgeous. Now I just have to collect the appropriate needles and decide on a pattern. Any suggestions?

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

Go for the socks. The yarn is so pretty, even a simple sock with a ribbed cuff will look special.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely stuff. I love the blues and tans on the left! I agree with Tracy. Go for socks.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Jillio said...

oOoh...stormy days. *mental note*
i was looking at knitty...i like those thuja socks. they look simple, yet elegant. another good resource for socks would be the knitting on the road sock book (i think that's what it's called...?). i used to have the book, didn't even use it yet, then gifted it away for a secret santa present. the patterns are lovely!
when it comes to socks, i like mine a bit snug, so i tend to do a cable rib pattern...it's the same as the pattern for the simple cabled rib hat in snb nation, worked over 12 sts.
the nancy bush vintage sock book also has some nice patterns. they're a bit more involved, but i think you'll like the sections that give extra information about heels, heel flaps, and toes. that's my favorite part of that book.
hope that helps! happy knitting!

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home