Saturday, July 01, 2006

I love 1am

Why do I love 1am? Because you can watch the local Senior Center's programming on the public station here at one in the morning. At least on Friday/Saturday. I just listened to a saxophone quartet play Claire de Lune, and it was lovely. Although it'll take a lot to beat what was on earlier this month: a line dancing recital performed entirely by, and this is meant in a nice way, old ladies. It was fantastic, and I really just wanted to get up and dance with the television. I hope when I'm retired that there's a really awesome place for me to go and line dance and play in a wind ensemble and knit for The Preemie Project (they're one of the donation centers).

Speaking of knitting (as this is a knitting blog), I've been working away on Birch, and it's still a gorgeous shawl. Of course, it's not the best mindless movie knitting, since I kind of like to see that I'm really making the increases and decreases, so I pulled out Ainsley's cardigan. Here's a photo, and I apologize for the quality; it's difficult to photograph red in artificial light, you know?

Ainsley's Cardigan

Before yesterday, I was to the point in the pattern where I needed to put the sleeve stitches on holders, so I paused there for awhile. I've never made a sweater before, so yesterday I decided to go ahead and get the sleevey bit over with. I have problems casting onto the right needle in the middle of a row, and you just have to go back and pick up stitches later anyway, so for the underarm I used the provisional cast on that starts with a crocheted chain, and then kept working to the end of the body. This afternoon I seamed the hood and started a sleeve; the provisional cast on idea seems to have worked well.

And earlier this week, I decided to start some Squirrely Swedish Mittens (the pattern is free from Elliphantom Knits) that were inspired completely by mittens at Hello Yarn.

Squirrel Mittens

I love squirrels.

I've never done any colorwork more complicated than a stripe, so these are pretty exciting for me. I like learning new things, and for these mittens I had to learn to knit English style and subsequently learn to knit holding a different color in each hand. Then I got to learn how to strand while knitting, and then I learned how to make one of those nifty braids at the edges of the cuff.

One thing I find interesting: although it's not particularly clear from that picture, the single color ribbed cuff at the bottom is pretty uneven, yet the colorwork seems to be very even. Why does the part of the mitten I've got the most practice at look the worst?

And now, back to my knitting and the seniors' wind ensemble. (P.S.- I really love squirrels.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Great little sweater and lovely mittens. I'm so impressed with your colorwork - so even!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Ruby Banshee said...

What yarn are you using for those mittens? That looks like fun, I'll have to get off my butt and try it someday.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

You're doing a great job on the colorwork!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Those are AWESOME!!!! I'm talkin' about the mittens, although everything else is fine too. Just, ya know, not as cool as squirrel mittens.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home