Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Finished Socks!

Woo hoo! I managed to finish both socks, and make them match!

Some Two Socks

It was a necessity this weekend; I woke up on Saturday, and my apartment was in the 50º range. I needed wool socks, so I buckled down and finished the toe on the second sock.

After that, I washed some fabric that I bought to make a handbag out of, a lá the Jordy bag. The brown is for the outside, and I'm going to line it with the pink floral.

Fabrics

I got a good deal, since Joann's was having a sale on bottomweights and home decor fabrics. I really want to go browse some more, but as I don't have a functioning sewing machine, there's no use. Don't worry, though, I've got one I can borrow, but I am window shopping for inexpensive basic models. Are Brothers any good?

Anyway, after Saturday's adventures, I hung some photos pre-Super Bowl party. I'm too cheap to buy lots of 8x10 frames, though, so I settled for plastic page protectors, contact adhesive hooks, and yarn. Here's the view (sorry about the glare).

Wall

Unfortunately, it's difficult to get straight pictures with this method. Some of you know about my obsessive tendencies... this is an experiment in doing something imperfectly and leaving it. So far, I'm liking it; the real test is how long it lasts.

And continuing in my experiments in "imperfection," I made a hat for my friend and went with a random stripe pattern. Here's the progression of rounds:
• 9 green
• 7 tan
• 2 grey
• 1 tan
• 3 grey
• 3 blue
• 6 green
• 2 brown
• 3 grey
• 1 tan
• 15ish green
Although having typed that out, I'm feeling a compulsion to sit down and figure out if maybe there's a pattern of some sort. But I'll resist; I have enough to finish up tonight, and it's already after midnight!

But of course, I've got to show the hat. I got A to pose with it, since it was too big to look right on me.

Hat on a Head

It looks like the back might be a bit too big, but I didn't want it to be too tight. It was amazingly easy to figure out how to make; all of that practice making preemie hats for the Preemie Project must have helped. Speaking of preemie hats, I finished another during the Super Bowl. It's just plain white, though, so I won't add yet another picture to this post :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Miriam said...

I love my Brother sewing machine. The needle threader is nice :) And compared to my old singer that could have rattled me out of my HEAD the brother is sooo quiet and smooth! I think you get what you pay for, mine is pretty basic, but I've been very pleased with it... no slipping on the feed dogs when I use heavier fabrics or thick groupings.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are beautious. I find that double stick tape works the best on the yarn and page protector project to get the pictures to stik to the yarn and be even at the same time. The pictures that I could see are very lovely though, very nice.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that was me, your secret pal. Sorry.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I like the way you displayed your pictures...much more interesting than frames!

Great socks. I know you're enjoying them.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Those socks are adorable!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home